Data leaks! The Data Speaks!
According to Databreaches.net, more and more data records are being stolen at a consistent rate. As expected, a surge in hacker activity is to blame!
Looking back in time, since 2010 there has been a marked decrease in lost records due to internal error. Not as many employees are losing their laptops at airports! Accidentally publishing data records was also once a foolish trend which has all but disappeared. Even inside jobs have been knocked off the list since early 2014.
However, poor security and hacker activity have only increased since 2010. That means the networks are getting more complex, and the criminals are getting smarter.
It’s true that there have been some very large scale breaches this year, as well as some high profile cases arise from other cyber security issues. Myspace gave up 164,000,000 records to hackers. Anthem gave up 80,000,000. Who can forget the Mossack Fonseca leak which may end up in the history books?
This trend only means that companies must be hyper-aware of the real cyber security threats that face them. We are now well into an era where cyber security planning is no longer a nice-to-have. It is a must have.
Here are a few questions to ask yourself about your current state of data affairs:
- Do I have a plan to protect my data against hackers?
- Do I have a plan to protect my data against employee error?
- Am I aware of all the ways that my data could get out?
- If my customer or financial data ends up in the hands of a crook or competitor, how would that affect my business?
- What impact would my data loss have on my credibility?
- What is my plan for protecting my image in case a data breach happens?
- How do I know that my plan will be effective?
- Does everyone in my company know the importance of data protection?
It is possible to have good answers to all of the questions above. Would you like to open up a conversation about your cyber security goals? If so, use the form below to contact Advanticom, and we would be happy to provide you with methods that will protect your company against data breaches.